Welcome to Dolphinwatch
- April - October
- Ireland's only Eco-certified Boat Trip
- Fully Guided
- Spectacular Scenery at the Mouth of the River Shannon
- Approx. 160 Dolphins in this resident group
- Spacious Boat
- Listen to Dolphin Sounds on board
- Nesting Seabirds, Rare Coastal Species, Grey seals and More!
- Family-run business, established in 1992
- Awarded Gold by Ecotourism Ireland
- Top 10 Wildlife Attraction in Ireland - BBC Wildlife Magazine
- Whale Watching Trips in Late Summer, Early Autumn
Watch and Learn About Ireland's Resident
Bottlenose Dolphins & their Habitat
This hydrophone recording is of three bottlenose dolphins from the Shannon who spent two weeks foraging for fish up a small tributary at Bunratty Castle. Thanks to Simon Berrow of the Irish Whale & Dolphin Group & Karl Grabe of corkcoast.com for providing this fascinating crystal clear visual recording.
More About Dolphinwatch
There are about 160 Bottlenose Dolphins in the Shannon Estuary, an EU Special Area of Conservation. Calves are born every year and it is a special treat to watch them play. Geoff and Susanne are familiar with many of the individual adult dolphins, distinguishable by their dorsal fin marks. Geoff, skipper of the custom-built dolphin-watching boat, the Draíocht, is always mindful that these are wild animals: they must be treated with respect and their habitat carefully protected.
While seeing a group of dolphins in action – and learning about their lifestyle and habitat – is central to the Dolphinwatch experience, there are plenty of surprises on the trip too. You might meet a grey seal emerging from a cave, or spot a herd of wild goats grazing on a craggy hillside. Geoff might take you close to the colossal Atlantic cliffs to show you some of the thousands of seabirds that visit the area to nest each year, or to describe how the unusual rock formations came about 320 million years ago.
September through February is whale watching season and Dolphinwatch offers whale watching trips to look for Fin and Minke Whales on the northern side of Loop Head.
Every trip really is a unique experience with Dolphinwatch.